by Elizabeth Weise
Ed Lee, the first Asian American to be mayor of San Francisco, died early Tuesday morning.
Lee and his wife Anita were grocery shopping at the Safeway on Monterey when he suffered a heart attack at about 10:30 p.m. Monday evening. He was taken to General Hospital, where he died.
In a statement, the City said:
“It is with profound sadness and terrible grief that we confirm that Mayor Edwin M. Lee passed away on Tuesday, Dec. 12 at 1:11 a.m. at Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital,” the statement said. “Family, friends and colleagues were at his side. Our thoughts and prayers are with his wife Anita, his two daughters, Brianna and Tania, and his family.”
Mayor Lee was 65. He and his family were long time Glen Park residents.
Just two weeks ago, on Nov. 30, Mayor Lee and District 8 Supervisor Jeff Sheehy did a walk through of Glen Park on Thursday, Nov. 30, chatting with local business owners and promoting the “Shop Local” program. Marian Dalere of Dalere’s Beauty Salon got these photos. Zoel from the gift store Perch told her that the mayor bought two ornaments.
More stories here:
The San Francisco Chronicle
Los Angeles Times
Mayor Ed Lee and Bird and Beckett owner Eric Whittington chat outside the shop.
- The Board of Appeals for the Planning Department meets Wednesday, December 13, 5 p.m., in City Hall, room 416.
(11) APPEAL NO. 17-158 PATRICIA HAYES, Appellant(s) vs. ZONING ADMINISTRATOR, Respondent 21 Brompton Avenue. Appealing the ISSUANCE on September 01, 2017, of a Letter of Determination regarding whether the vacant lot at the subject property currently being used for parking could be considered a legal nonconforming use, and whether the lot could be developed with a surface paid public parking lot. RECORD NO. 2017-009091
Link to Planning Dept’s Letter of Determination that is being appealed
Link to full agenda
This regards the parking lot in the middle of Glen Park Village. Please note that if the appeal is successful, it means that the Hayes family can then apply for approval of a public parking lot as an interim use, subject to a Conditional Use review by staff, public comment, and a Planning Commission hearing.
- The SFMTA will hold a “Private Vehicle Transit Route Duplication” public meeting Tuesday, December 12, 6 p.m., at 1 South Van Ness, 2nd floor atrium. See information here.
Nothing specific to GP but interesting nonetheless
- The Planning Commission meets Thursday, December 14, 1 p.m., in City Hall, room 400. See supporting documents here. (Full agenda not available at press time.)
Discretionary Review Full Analysis hearing for 531 30th Street. Supporting document here.
- The Board of Supervisors’ Rules Committee meets Monday, December 11, 1:30 p.m., in City Hall, room 263. See full agenda here.
171252 [Administrative Code – Establishing an Office of Tenant Assistance] Sponsors: Sheehy; Breed
Ordinance amending the Administrative Code to establish an Office of Tenant Assistance to provide full scope legal representation to San Francisco tenants in certain eviction proceedings; and to require notice regarding the Office of Tenant Assistance to tenants being evicted from rental units covered by the Rent Ordinance. (Fiscal Impact; no Budget and Legislative Analyst Report)
11/28/17; ASSIGNED UNDER 30 DAY RULE to the Rules Committee.
12/5/17; REFERRED TO DEPARTMENT