Glen Park Association By-Laws
Glen Park Association Board minutes:
Glen Park Association General meeting minutes:
Glen Park Association Board minutes: June 8, 2011
Glen Park Association Board minutes: Feb. 23, 2011
Glen Park Association Board minutes: Aug. 31, 2010
Glen Park Association Board minutes: June 8, 2010
Glen Park Association Board minutes: March 10, 2010
Glen Park Association financial statement for 4th quarter of 2010
Glen Park Association financial statements for the 3rd quarter of 2010
Glen Park Association Board of Directors meeting
31 August 2010
208 Chenery Street
Michael Rice, President
Heather World, Recording Secretary
Michael Ames, Vice President
Sally Ross, Membership Secretary
Nicholas Dewar, Planning and Zoning chair
Richard Craib, Recreation and Park chair
Carolyn Deacy, Public Safety chair
Lewison Lem, Traffic and Transportation chair (arrived later)
Rice called to order at 7:17 p.m.
Recorder: Minutes of July general meeting: Heather sent/posted
Treasurer’s Report (Excel spreadsheet for third quarter posted on listserv)
Sally Ross: We need to change the payment email address goes to Sally. No change in membership numbers, though we have some envelopes.
Health and Environment: John Walmsley has been trying to pursue tree planting and more flower boxes in the downtown area. Mic Ames will try to find the Friends of the Urban Forest listserv for our neighborhood.
Neighborhood Environment: John Walmsley, absent, is in Guam.
Rec and Park: Richard Craib went to Sunnyside playground and met employees of park dept: Bob Palacio. Re-organization of dept: Basically, patrons will be paying more and receiving fewer services. Fees for use of park buildings for events will be $27.50 to $72. Qualifying organizations can host three events per quarter for free. The Glen Park Rec center is now one of 25 multi-purpose centers Rec and Park operates across the city. See http://sf-recpark.org/index.aspx?page=2, scroll to the bottom and click Rebuilding Recreation Model to see details of re-org.
2008 bond money for capital improvements: Glen Park is getting up to $5.8 million, and up to $2 million from Trust for Public Land. Money could upgrade facility but not in a major way. Rec and Park staff are working on outreach meetings in Glen Park to help plan use of these capital funds.
About $900,000 will go into trail improvements Glen Canyon.
Michael Rice and Richard Craib will contact Rec and Park staff on schedule for outreach meetings.
October program. Candidate forum for fall meeting before election. Rice will approach the four candidates: Mandelman, Prozan, Wiener and Hemenger. Mic will check with Rec and Park. Rice will check with St. John’s about gym.
Traffic and Transportation
Lewison Lem reported that the employee shuttles study came out (SF County Transportation Authority). See study at http://www.sfcta.org/images/stories/Planning/Shuttles/Final_SAR_08-09-2_Shuttles_062310.pdf
Carolyn says crime is down overall in our neighborhood, but auto boosting up. She’ll send out the tips to keep cars safe. She and Stephanie Hagio drive around at night to find out where street lights need to be replaced or upgraded.
Beth Weise, GP News editor absent. Next GP News will be published in September
Zoning and Planning
D Valentine is stepping down from committee chair. Nicholas Dewar will take over. Planning Department is coming back with a revised Glen Park Community Plan based on community input. September 14 meeting has been organized by Planning Dept (6:30-8:30 St. John’s Auditorium). We will make special effort to review and comment on the draft plan.
Meeting adjourned at 900 pm.
8 June 2010
Glen Park Association
Board of Directors meeting
Michael Rice calls meeting to order. Three officers (quorum) present.
John Walmsley makes a motion to approve the March minutes.
Mic Ames seconds
All say aye
1. Correspondence (none)
John says be sure to announce benefits of membership at the beginning of general meetings. Also, we need to send out letters to the realtors, using the list given by Beth Kershaw, asking them to give memberships to new owners. Ask churches if they would be willing to send out emails to their members to join. Contact schools to ask if they would send out membership applications to their parent body.
Sally Ross will be taking over membership.
3. Committee Reports
Health and Environment (Ames)
Perhaps have a speaker at a meeting talk about the benefits of vaccination, Lime disease, not feeding wild animals
Neighborhood Environment (Walmsley)
John has taken over the lead on tree planting. Someone made a donation to FUF to plant trees in Glen Park. He would like some time on the next quarterly general meeting agenda to bring up this idea. John has talked to BART about planting the planters.
July 14 (Wed) meeting
Possible topics: Natural Resources theme (FUF trees, don’t feed the wildlife, bring up the guidelines for grants)
Election meeting: candidates, propositions, including something about MUNI driver pay.
SFMTA parking survey to be presented Thursday. He is interested in emphasizing a pedestrian pathway between Bosworth and Wilder. Even if nothing is done with the lot, a pathway could go on either side of the building they have. The neighborhood in urban planning terms has a relative lack of open space compared to the population. If that entire lot were developed as housing and we lost the opportunity for some through pathway, that could be a loss you could never get back.
Next step is to form an ad hoc committee to come up with the top five or six principles we want if the development proceeds. Can be done by email by June 22.
Zoning and Planning (Valentine)
Richard Tarlov had mentioned that since BART wants something from the neighborhood, why not ask BART to give over the lot for now to a Farmer’s Market. John Walsmsley will approach Molly Burke about the market at the lot.
The subject of a half finished development on the other side of San Jose Avenue was raised. Do we want to do anything about it? First step: call Dufty or Avalos or Campos and find out the contact for that neighborhood association. D will take this on.
Treasurer’s Report (Mullen)
Michael, Mic and Dennis got together to discuss grant guidelines.
Dennis: According to financial statements $15,764 in checking. Money market account has $14,892. Some is board-restricted (proposals must be voted by whole board), some ($1k) is donor-restricted (for the GPN). The rest is unrestricted funds, which means an officer can propose spending.
Guidelines for spending should follow the purpose of association: inform/educate residents, initiate and support beneficial projects, carry out educational and charitable purposes as are supported by membership.
We have supported causes in the past. Proposal to have regular annual $100 contributions to some core neighborhood orgs (library, rec ctr). In addition, could look at proposals for spending more money so, for example, helping underwrite a new play structure if the rec center was getting remodel. Also keep a war chest.
For this month:
1. Specific written request from Rec Ctr asking for $150 per mat for five mats.
D moves to grant three mats ($450) to the Rec Center. Carolyn seconds. All in favor.
2. Sunnyside ES wants us to fund a lunch/health program. We don’t want to fund staff, but equipment okay. D recuses himself b/c his kids attend the school.
Carolyn moves to fund jump ropes, balls and other equipment. Dennis seconds. All in favor.
3. D moves we give $250 to St. John’s ES scholarship in the name of Mike Walsh. Dennis seconds. All in favor.
4. Bird and Beckett Cultural Legacy. Heather moves to donate $250 to Bird & Beckett Cultural Legacy to foster neighborhood sociability. Dennis seconds. All in favor.
5. Library (to be done by email)
Preservation fund advisory committee. Might we want to survey all of GP (rather than just downtown) to see if it qualifies for historical status? The Preservation Fund can match our funding, possibly at a ratio of nine to one. Michael estimates such a study would cost $20k. Bruce says about ten other neighborhood associations have already done this.
GPN coming out for pre-July edition. Michael hasn’t written his column, and he told the editors he would write about what we discussed tonight re financials. Disclose reserves and plans for the future.
D moves to adjourn. Carolyn seconds. All say aye.
10 March 2010 GPA EB meeting
We have 106 members as of today.
New member or renewals must wait 21 after payment days to vote.
General meetings require a 10-day advance notification.
10 percent of voting membership constitutes a quorum needed to vote on an item. Even then, if fewer than 1/3 of members are present, votes may be taken only on general nature of what’s been put in the notice
Neighborhood concerned over fate of BART lot. MR and Ric Lopez talked and decided to insist BART lead a community information meeting co-sponsored by the GPA and GPMA. Needs to be by early April so people have info for the April general meeting.
Put pressure on BART through Bevan and let them know we have an agenda item about this.
Action items: we will try for a BART community meeting before our quarterly meeting. MA to contact Tom Radulevich, Bruno Pase (staffer in real estate side), Bevan or staff.
We think this is where BART is at in the process: Two finalists from the RFP from developers. One connected with Willie Brown, and one connected to a previous BART director.
Send an email to BART staff, Tom and cc Bevan. We’re asking BART to come and stand on its own feet. There is active mobilization against development, as shown during and after last general meeting.
John Walmsley got the plastic plants removed from planters in BART station. Planters are now empty. He called Rube Warren and offered to get plants in there. We’ll probably have to wait until changed management at BART for anything to happen. He’s trying to see if a private business can put in plants and possibly maintain it in exchange for recognition.
History of our giving: We’re solvent. We’ve responded to specific requests. We’ve never made an announcement in GPN saying to people we’re accepting proposals. Miriam had asked for $500 donation to replace planters at Rec Center.
Amt we can distribute each year is limited 1/3 of income from prior year. 1/3 is cash reserve, 1/3 reinvested into paper, 1/3 donations. This doesn’t include various memberships we belong to. This is part of our general expenditures.
Dennis’s suggestion for future guidelines:
1) Develop of list of 6 to 7 local groups that we (GPA) would fund at about $100 to $200, and approve this list in Feb/March after the year-end financials are completed.
2) Then, checks could be disbursed in March/April for these organizations, and the news could be included in our GPA News in the next issue.
3) Then, during the year, if any more requests came in, such as one-time donations, or unusual, large amount donations, or special request donations, then we could act as an Executive board on those. It seems in the past year or so, the Executive Board has taken a knee-jerk reaction to donation requests, and a lot of the little local groups have been left out.
4) Proposed list of $100 donations:
a) Friends of Glen Canyon Park (Richard Craib says FGCP has never asked for money and never received any.)
b) St. John’s School (annual scholarship)
c) Glen Park Library (annual donation for books/chairs/supplies)
d) Bird & Beckett Cultural Legacy (cultural events, poetry readings, book readings)
e) Annual Scholarship/Supplies Fund for another school in Glen Park (Glen Park Elementary on Lippard Street ?)
f) Sunnyside Conservatory (no more large gifts, but an annual donation of $100)
g) The two day-care centers in Glen Canyon Park ( the names?)
5) We could set up a funding cycle for the requests that come in during the rest of the year, or at least set a maximum amount of the donation, rather than being “told” by the requesting organization what they think is the proper amount that we should give.
Also, upon being asked Miriam did state that we (GPA) are the sole source of the contributions to her Glen Park Adivisory Board. One year the GPA merchants gave her only $25. This was an interesting point, since there should be more oversight into what she is proposing, otherwise it looks like we are funding her projects and not necessarily the projects or wishes of the GPA constituency or members.
Also of interest is that it felt like we (GPA) were funding the Friends of Glen Canyon Park – Bird Walk/Pancake Breakfast every year. But upon actual review, we missed most of the years.
Given more time, I can go back to years 2003 and before. Currently, the records go back to 1997, and there doesn’t seem to be any distibution of GPA funds to the GP Merchants Association to help them start the Glen Park Festival. So I will have to look more in-depth about how that deal was transacted.
Could it have been a direct pay-out in cash from the proceeds collected by the GPA when the GPA ran the Glen Park Festival? Also, very likely, the transaction could have occured in 1996 or earlier and a check was written to the GP Merchants to help them take over the GP Festival.
Lewison: I move for a simple $250 donation to the GP Advisory Board toward the proposal for new planters.
Mic Ames seconds the motion.
Vote: one in favor, motion fails.
Lewison: I move to approve $200 plus a matching fund of up to $150 to the GP Advisory Board toward the purchase of new planters outside the GP Rec Ctr.
Vote: all in favor
Given schedules, Wed Apr 14, the latest it could be Tues Apr 20
Update on community plan. Invite planners, invite BART
After meeting the date is set at April 13, 7PM, Rec ctr.
All Sunday Streets are set for 2010, but propose to them to close some stretch of Alemany and have side closures onto Mission Street. People walk from Glen Park to Geneva Avenue. Cayuga playground with wood sculptures. (Another idea: go south on Alemany. Sunday is the flea market on the other side of Mission.)
Action item: Heather to find out the process for 2011 locations.
What about getting in on the Pavement to Parks (P2P) program? Promising corner: NW Corner of Bosworth and Diamond under board. Bernie says he owns it. NE corner of Elk and Bosworth. Triangle of concrete. Arlington/Wilder/Natick has too much concrete.
Mic: Motion to purchase a public address system.
Vote: all in favor.
Motion to adjourn.